I am trying to write an essay about gender stereotypes and how this short story deviates from that “norm”. The notion of the submissive housewife . Is that even a stereotype anymore? I was never given a clear idea of the role women “supposedly” fill because no one is retarded enough to think that. I dislike writing about it because I feel that is makes out of date assumptions about society’s regard for women. Ok so when this was published it was so shocking that it was banned. But that was a long time ago and to think that the same ideas regarding women are the cultural norm than you are living under a rock. So there’s my rant.

1. genki_blu wrote:

woot, feminazis unite! *tho i just spent the weekend learning how to knit -_-;*

Monday, March 27, 2006 at 2:06 PM | Permalink
  2. Actually, you’d be surprised at how pervasive this stereotype is. In Japan, particularly, it is still desirable for a woman to get married young, be a docile, submissive housewife who doesn’t work and who lives to essentially serve her husband and family. Even in this country, there are people who will go to great expense to educate their sons, but give next to nothing towards education of their daughters because “they’re only girls – they’ll just get married and have babies. They don’t need an education.”

Are those stereotypes being challenged year by year, yes. However, they DO still exist. Western society is much more progressive in terms of womens’ rights than the rest of the world. American culture may have embraced the idea of woman as a man’s equal, but it’s actually quite shocking how backward many places in the world still are in this regard.

Good luck on your paper, btw. What story is it that you’re reading?

Monday, March 27, 2006 at 3:35 PM | Permalink
  3. fatcagney wrote:

Just because we (you and me) believe women and men to be the norm doesn’t mean other people do. There are still men (and women, sadly) who think that the only place for women is in the kitchen and reproducing. Women are still sterotyped as the ‘submissive housewife’ because we are still struggling to become completely equal in a world run by white men.

Monday, March 27, 2006 at 6:14 PM | Permalink

Yes of course Japan would be a prime example of this. I just don’t feel like I was ever really exposed to this particular mode of thought so it is much harder for me to write about.

The story is Kate Chopin “The Storm”

Monday, March 27, 2006 at 7:21 PM | Permalink

I really wanted to thank you. A long time ago you recommended a book to Brian and I. The Joy of Sex. He gave it to me for my birthday and it is a great read!

Monday, March 27, 2006 at 7:23 PM | Permalink
  6. fatcagney wrote:

Oh, haha. You’re welcome. I always tell people it isn’t some dirty book. It’s very educational! Glad you like it. ;D

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 5:26 PM | Permalink