Marching Band

Today I woke up to the sound of rain and… very loud marching band music. Poor kids, and they thought marching band practice would be canceled THEY WERE WRONG!
But Sir, …The drums aren’t doing so hot…
PLAY PLAY! Muahahahahaha

I am going to grab some breakfast.

1. That’s rather stupid of them to decide to have practice when it means probably ruining all of the instruments. *shakes head* Poor marching band kids.

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

I could be wrong I mean someone could have been playing a loud marching band recording in the stadium… in the rain. I was reminded of the Campbell drumline practicing outside the art room. Just what you really didn’t want to hear.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 3:09 AM | Permalink

Woodwinds would be the only instruments that would have to worry about water damage. Most other marching band instruments are actually quite weatherproof and most brass instruments are taken apart and washed in water directly every so often. I know for damn sure marching band in high school did NOT stop just for a bit of rain. We were out in everything short of a fucking hurricane.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 5:09 AM | Permalink

I play a Clarinet so maybe that is why I was cringing at the thought. But that is what the plastic ones are for.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 1:24 PM | Permalink
  5. obakehoshi wrote:

Uh, you forgot about percussion instruments. I was in Pit. Xylophones, marimbas, vibraphones, timpani, chimes, cymbals, maracas, etc. do not do well in rain. They have to get out of the wet immediately or they warp and crack and don’t work anymore.

Not many instruments do do well in rain. Woodwinds’ pads rot off and if they’re wood, they get water caught in tiny little cracks enough to the point they can split or at least get badly warped. Brass instruments can feasibly play in the rain, yeah… but if they don’t get thoroughly dry afterwards, they’ll start to get that weird green sticky crap from oxidation on it. Which is why the inside of sousaphones are disgusting. They can never get fully clean because of all the tubing. It’s just a bad idea to play in the rain. Doesn’t get much accomplished anyway.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 4:16 PM | Permalink

BAND NERD!!!

You are too much of an expert on this… scary

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 8:27 PM | Permalink

Yeah but no one cares about Pit.

I mean, yeah. Keep in mind I’m also running under the assumption that people maintain their instruments and don’t let the rain take long term effects on their stuff after they’re done. If you keep up with your instruments the rain is just inconvienent, and if anything most bands I knew were more concerned about their uniform than the instruments.

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 1:52 AM | Permalink