I makes art yesss

This lovely piece has been my recent source of agony. I am really excited with how well it came out and maybe it is my best print so far. The print is 18″x18″ and it took me ungodly amounts of time to carve it. I am trying to think about Zen Buddhism in this piece and my own personal search through zen. The actual paper is much tanner than this looks. I had to adjust the colors a lot to make it look like I didn’t Photoshop together 6 scanned sections. Needless to say my teacher is pretty darn excited and I would love some feedback from my LJ friends!

Wow Hannah! That is absolutely stunning. I wish I had half the talent you do.

And on a completely different note, I haven’t talked to you in entirely too long, and it’s a problem. I really miss you!

Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 6:35 AM | Permalink

You know, sometimes you just step up to bat… and nail a grand fucking slam!!! You are awesome. Awesomer than the muppets x Gandhi. Okay maybe not the muppets…

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! **dies**

**reborn** AWESOME!

Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 7:52 AM | Permalink

Thanks Ort! You’re right it’s been ages. *hugs* I hope you are having a great semester!

Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Aww Sweetie you know how to make me feel good about myself. :D :D :D

Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 1:42 PM | Permalink
  5. oddrid wrote:

Gorgeous. ♥

Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 12:54 AM | Permalink
  6. Wow, Hannah! That is really beautiful. Do you mind if I use it as my wallpaper? (I mean computer, though frankly it would be incredible if you enlarged that to cover a wall.)

Also, I would be interested to hear how you connect with the piece in terms of your Zen practice…

Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 6:01 AM | Permalink

Go for it.

I find Zen something that is difficult to articulate. I think the clean black ink on paper references a lot of Zen art and calligraphy. The piece itself is somewhere between realism and abstraction some areas are clear while others are less so. I am hoping that orienting yourself visually may parallel a spiritual search. I think about zen often as a realization of the beauty around you and for me the most beautiful thing is trees. Zen is a religion and an aesthetic.
    I don’t think that explained it well at all but that’s what I am trying to think about in my work right now.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

additionally I feel that Buddhism thinks about compassion and I want people to see the amount of love and compassion (if that’s the right word)I put into my marks.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 9:26 PM | Permalink